Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Path of Least Resistance

Today I had the glorious opportunity to watch the Emmys live on TV (well, part of them, anyway).  The writing, staging, and acting were top-notch, and I felt generally inspired.  I also had this nagging feeling that I could NEVER be as beautiful as the actresses who were at the awards show, and therefore I could never get hired.

I decided to fight this feeling by obsessively researching dance and acting classes and seeing which ones would be appropriate for my intermediate-level experience and fit with my schedule.  Well, first off, NONE of them are offered in the mornings.  Bummer.  So I decided that I would try to register for the evening classes.  DONE.  :-)

Well, almost.  I felt like the classes I would be registering for wouldn't quite be what I needed, so I proceeded to do a little more digging.  It was through this that I found out about a local playwright's association that holds open readings!  Cool beans!  This will give me the opportunity to network both as a writer AND as an actress!!!

Except... when I researched further, I found the playwright's association is now defunct and has been for a long time.

So what did I do?

I gave up and I wrote poetry.  And I was astounded at how easily the rhythm and rhyme and meter came to me... it was as natural as breathing.  Compared to my exercise in digging trenches by trying to better prepare myself as an actress, I felt like I was flying.  I then realized that, as much as I love acting and singing and dancing and writing music and performing, all of those are incredibly hard work for me.  Writing poetry, though... it's like waking up for breakfast and brewing coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment